Sunday, June 17, 2007

Dear Dad - Happy Father's Day

My dad, a long time ago ;)

Like Mother's Day, Father's Day is always bittersweet for me.

As I've been spending almost all of my time putting in work to finish up this master's, I think of them both a lot because they always pushed me to pursue my education.

Although, I know they would be pleased that I'm still challenging myself. I think by now they would be saying "okay, enough school already...get married and have some kids!" Actually, my mom would be saying that. My would probably be outside mowing the lawn.

I realized pretty early on that I was a really lucky kid. My dad was around. I saw him everyday. He worked. There were rarely fights between my parents and, when there were, he didn't start them. The stories my friends had were much different, so I'd hit the parent jackpot.

He was just a really nice, gentle and hard-working man. He loved me oodles and was always there when I needed him.

Isn't that funny that contradicts all the stereotypes of black men and particularly about black fathers? However, it's not just black men.

In general, men get harsh evaluations:
Given the right combination of chemistry and culture, good fathering is a varied and highly sustainable resource--one that's just waiting to be tapped.
However, I think that might be one big reason I've not rushed into relationships. It's hard finding one like my dad.

I'm lucky. I know that.

RIP, dad. I love you and I miss you.

From your very lucky daughter.

Quote from The Psychology of Fatherhood at

Sphere: Related Content