Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Being Black in Korea: My First Podcast on Metropolitician.com

The audio is below in "Update 3".

Well, I guess I'm officially in the blogosphere now.

My friend, Michael, at Metropolician called me up and asked me if I wanted to 1) be a guest blogger on his site and 2) record a podcast about being black in Korea.
I was hesitant regarding the first option, not because I don't have anything to say but because I just don't have that much time. However, once we got into the discussion and the ideas started flowing, I warmed up to it fairly quickly.

Regarding option two, I thought recording a podcast would be a great idea because too often I've found that people who aren't black, read whites, opine a bit too strongly about how tough it is here for black people. It's fine to have an opinon, but I've had a couple of conversations where a white person seriously tried to convince me about how bad it is to be black in Korea. Now as I'm black AND in Korea I find those conversations to be ridiculous. Yes, it's tough here on some levels, but on others it's no worse, and sometimes is better, than things back home or elsewhere.

Anyway, here is a link to the post, Podcast #25 _ Being Black in Korea (interesting comments), and a direct link to the podcast, Being Black in Korea. From the main page it's Podcast #25 – Being Black in Korea. I just heard it, and it's not bad. Just so you know the start has about a minute of a rap from Boogie Down Productions.

Here is my first Metropolitician blog post...give me a topic, please!


Update 1 : May 5, 2007 @ 9:00pm

I just got home from studying at a Starbucks in Itaewon. While I was there I met three black women who are all teaching ESL here too. Honestly, that makes me feel good to see more of us here because, as I say in the podcast, it might not be ideal, but it's not as bad as some people paint it to be.

It's nice to see more people who look like me after having it be so rare for so long.

Update 2: March 19, 2008 @ 7:45am

The Being Black in Korea topic is still going. In fact, it seems to be becoming a series. Mike has a few things going and a new one is BombEnglish.com where they create real conversations for students interested in learning English to listen to via iTunes or their iPods.

They've brought in Felicia who is also black and teaches in Korea to continue the conversation. This one even has a transcript. They're dealing more with lighter topics, but I didn't read the whole transcript.

Check it out for me and report back, okay?

BombEnglish: 폭탄영어 #7 - Being Black in Korea (Deep Conversation Series)


Update 3: December 12, 2011

Wow, well, my prediction that one day the audio would go missing came true.  However, it went missing while I was on my NYC adventure.  That basically means that the hard drive I'd saved it on anticipating that the audio would go AWOL one day was, well, AWOL.

However, now I'm back in California and guess what I found?

Here is the audio on Dropbox: Being Black in Korea. Ping me if that's down as I also have it on Amazon S3 (but I'm not using it until Dropbox cuts me off; see the instructions on how to reach me in my bio on the right.)

Update 3.1: October 7, 2012

I'm working off of a fancy new computer, and just posted this link on Quora: South Korea: What's it like to be black in Korea?. So I decided to test the Dropbox link. It's working just fine. You don't need a Dropbox account. Just click the link and you'll have the option to download and save the file. On my computer that's in the upper right hand corner of the page. I just downloaded it and it plays just fine.

BTW, I'm thrilled that people are still finding and listening to this. Mike and I definitely helped fill a need.

Sphere: Related Content