Saturday, January 6, 2007

Myanmar Rejects Visa For Kim Dae-jung

Aung San Suu Kyi on tour (from ibiblio.org)

Okay, I'm tired of superficial and catty celebrity gossip. I'm guilty of indulging, but now I need to switch gears. I've dived right back into those news stories I've been avoiding.

For those who don't know who he is, Kim Dae-jung, is the former president of the South Korea and the winner of the 2000 Nobel Peace Prize.

He wanted to visit Myanmar's Aung Sang Suu Kyi, who has been in detention in Myanmar for over 10 years because of her efforts to free Burma. She won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1991. It seems that Kim's visa request was immediately rejected
on the grounds that the purpose of his visit constituted "interference in the domestic affairs" of Myanmar...
It's just a sad and unfortunate story, and more people should be aware of it.

Here is the link to the news story: Myanmar rejects South Korea Nobel laureate Kim's visa

Sphere: Related Content

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! Thanks for visiting my blog. It's my first blog, and I'm glad folks are still stopping by even though I'm no longer living in South Korea. Feel free to comment. If you want a personal answer, leave your email, and I won't publish the comment. Nasty comments and spam links will not be tolerated.