Sunday, April 29, 2007

On Being Black and a Woman, Whichever is Worse

I'm a bit distracted. I won't say why, but let's say I'm not happy about it.

In my distraction, I ran across a link to these videos done by spokenlife on YouTube.

It's in two parts, and it's named On Being Black and a Woman, Whichever is Worse. She's commenting on the Imus scandal and its fallout. The fact is we all know that what Imus said rap and hip-hop artists have been saying and getting rich off of the same horrible comments for awhile.

It's interesting because, as I've written before, I was blessed with loving, great and hyper-protective parents. It was frustrating at times as a kid, but I realized pretty early in the game that they were protecting me for the right reasons.

I like how she ends it. If you've read my blog at all, you know how frustrated I've been with being judged by stereotypes. Even one or two people I thought close to me have done it. It's frustrating not being seen. It's frustrating having to go through the same tired conversations where a person expresses shock and awe that I have something close to a brain and have managed to use it. It's frustrating when people can't recognize that being able to take care of myself doesn't mean I don't need help (that black female Superwoman thing is a big, big burden and problem.) It's frustrating when just about every other race of women can express a range of feelings and emotions, but the range I'm expected to express is much smaller.

Anyway, I'll leave it at that. Listen to what she had to say. I particularly like the last few minutes of the video.

She's also got a few video replies. I haven't watched them and I probably won't, but just click over and there are other people contributing either positively or negatively to this conversation.

Part one:


Part two:


Oh Nunya from Queer Thinker referenced a blog of hers in the comments, but didn't link it, so here it is: Reflections On Race & Gender

Sphere: Related Content