Sunday, July 22, 2007

Details Matter

A lack of attention to detail is the kind of stuff that happens in Korea quite frequently.

I'm not one-hundred percent sure why. My theory is it has a lot to do with culture and the learning style developed here which encourages students to memorize and regurgitate information rather than process it and piece it together on their own. It also probably has a lot to do with the hierarchial nature of society here where doing what you're told is more valued than initiative and problem solving skills.

What that means is you're virtually guaranteed in every situation that details have been overlooked or not even considered. This means there is pretty much always a situation where unforeseen problems arise because no one has thought far enough ahead to consider the various contingencies. There are exceptions and it's one reason I love my job. I've never experienced an administration in Korea that is so organized and detail oriented. However, a lack of attention to detail occurs more often than not here. When I first arrived that irked me to no end because I tend to be very detail oriented. I've learned to just roll with it and shrug when all hell breaks loose, but acceptance of it doesn't change my character.

So wouldn't you know I was reading an article today in The Korea Times online on a philosophy conference which will occur in Seoul. However, they left out a cricial detail: the year. The article says the conference will happen from July 30th to August 5th which shocked me as I'd heard nothing about one. I then found the conference's website and it will happen NEXT year. Okay, that makes more sense, but factor that to almost everytime you do something and you can see just how irksome those types of oversights can be.

Here is the article. If you can find any hint that it will be next year, let me know. I mean I could be my error, but I don't think so.
Seoul to Hold Meeting of Philosophers

Seoul will hold the largest international gathering of academic philosophers from July 30 to Aug. 5.

Co-hosted by the Korean Philosophical Association and the International Federation of Philosophical Societies, the 22nd World Congress of Philosophy will host thousands of philosophers from all over the world.

The weeklong event, which will be held at Seoul National University, aims to help participants share their academic achievements and friendship, the organizers said Sunday.

The quinquennial event is expected to draw more than 3,000 prominent philosophers from some 150 countries, such as Alain Badiou and Luc Ferry of France, Peter Sloterdijk and Vittorio Hosle of Germany and Judith Butler of the United States.

South Korea is the first Asian country to host the event. Over the past 107 years, all of the previous world congresses were held in Europe or the Americas.

Sphere: Related Content