Thursday, July 19, 2007

Tonight: Manchester United vs FC Seoul

Manchester United star players including Wayne Rooney, Cristiano Ronaldo and Mikael Silvestre leave the arrivals halls at Incheon International Airport on Wednesday.

Yikes!

I forgot about this! I got an email a couple of weeks ago, so I'll be watching this match tonight with some of Britain's finest. From there, I'll head to pick up the last Harry Potter book in the series.

Woot! Woot! It looks like it will be a fun evening.

Here is the news story that reminded me they're in town.

Manchester United Land in Korea
England Premier League champion Manchester United arrived in Seoul on Wednesday to a massive welcome from football fans. Led by manager Sir Alex Ferguson, the team arrived at Incheon International Airport at 2:40 p.m.

The champion team are on an Asia tour that already saw them play a friendly match against the Urawa Reds of the Japanese league. They plan a friendly against FC Seoul at the Seoul World Cup Stadium on Friday.

Sir Alex, dressed in black suit and red tie, was first out of the arrivals hall, followed by star players in red T-shirt and navy sweat pants such as Paul Scholes, Wayne Rooney, Edwin Van der Sar, Ryan Giggs, Christiano Ronaldo and Rio Gavin Ferdinand. Owen Lee Hargreaves and Luis Carlos Almeida, who joined the club this summer, were also there.

Incheon Airport was teeming with football fans from the early morning. Fans thronged the airport, from college students wearing ManU uniforms and singing anthems to middle schoolgirls holding presents for the players. The 1,000 Korean fans sang songs, beat drums and chanted slogans to welcome the players.

Kim Gwang-woo, a 26-year-old member of an online fanclub, said, “It feels like a dream and I can’t believe they arrived in Korea. To us, four nights and three days (the time ManU is staying in Seoul) are like a festival.”

Lee Ga-ram said, “I came here from Busan to see Manchester United. I’m about to start my military service, and a Manchester United game is the best present to myself.” Close to 100 journalists were busy capturing the exciting atmosphere on video and cameras.

Sir Alex, in a press conference at the Shilla Hotel, where the team is staying, said, “Park Ji-sung told me that FC Seoul is a strong team.” Though Park can’t play in this game, Koreans can see the team’s new members Hargreaves and Nani in action, he added. FC Seoul manager Senol Gunes said, “FC Seoul consists of young players, and they will play a good match against Manchester United with its experienced players.”

The team leaves Seoul on Saturday for two more friendly matches in Macau and Guangzhou.

FC Seoul
Manchester United

Sphere: Related Content

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! Thanks for visiting my blog. It's my first blog, and I'm glad folks are still stopping by even though I'm no longer living in South Korea. Feel free to comment. If you want a personal answer, leave your email, and I won't publish the comment. Nasty comments and spam links will not be tolerated.