Friday, September 26, 2008

Podcast Picks of the Week - 09/26/2008

I recently got into podcasts this year when I broke down and finally bought myself an iPod.

There are a few that I subscribe to but one stand out favorite that has me completely addicted is Slate's Political Gabfest. Since I just started listening, I've been catching up on the podcasts they had during the primaries and now eagerly anticipate getting the new one each week. I sit on the bus and subway laughing quietly when they say something funny or nodding subtly when they make points I agree with.

There is also the UChannel podcast which is a much more formal. It's a lecture series and sometimes the issues they discuss are pretty good. Usually, I'll listen to lectures from the Royal Society for the encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce (RSA), so the levity that comes with the Slate podcasts is missing but I usually feel like I've learned something when I find lectures on topics I'm interested in.

Anyway, here are my picks of the week. Because I'm now addicted to Slate's podcasts, I'm on a quest for more and one from Salon.com on featuring an economic blogger was great. I think what these podcasts do is quench my thirst for an intelligent discussion of politics and, honestly, I can't say that's easy to find.

I'll try to make this a habit. We'll see how successful that will be. Note that clicking on these links will take you to the iTunes store. These podcasts are free AND you don't need an iPod to listen to them. You just need to download them and you can listen to them using iTunes.

Slate's Political Gabfest for Sept. 19, 2008: The Economic Collapse Gabfest

Salon.com: Salon.com Radio - Digby on the bailout

UChannel: Permission to Speak - What right do you have to tell me what to say? and Democracy: participation to passivity - can things change?

I've just added podcasts from the New York Times and the New Yorker to my subscription lists, so maybe I'll find a few more gems. We'll see.

Okay, now it's time to cook (yes, I know it's late...but eh.)

Sphere: Related Content

2 comments:

  1. yes! i love the gabfest. also check out bill moyer's journal, backstory from the nytimes, radiolab from wnyc, and on the media from wnyc (my favorite).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh, thanks for the podcast tips. I'll add those right now. I've got an article to write and it's going to be a long day.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for visiting my blog. It's my first blog, and I'm glad folks are still stopping by even though I'm no longer living in South Korea. Feel free to comment. If you want a personal answer, leave your email, and I won't publish the comment. Nasty comments and spam links will not be tolerated.