Sunday, December 31, 2006

Happy New Year!

Piggy cakes: Customers at Shinsegae Department Store in downtown Seoul, Sunday, look at cakes shaped like pigs to celebrate the Year of the Pig.
(photo and caption from The Korea Times)


새해 복 많이 받으세요* or Happy New Year!

I was a lazy expatriate and just chose to stay at home. After being part of the spirited World Cup crowd in Seoul City Hall Plaza this summer, I just wasn't in the mood to deal with jostling through crowds or making my way home after the festivities were over.

A demi- celebrity friend of mine was a part of the big New Years show at Seoul City Hall Plaza, but even with access to a nice cozy spot, I just didn't want to brave the cold and the crowds to get to the cozy spot.

Like I did when I was young with my parents, I stayed in the warmth of my home. I actually slept through the turn of midnight the way my dad always managed to do. However, my cell phone woke me up when it started rattling with Happy New Year text messages. I do love the connectivity in Korea even when it interferes with my sleep.

I wished my cat a Happy New Year. Filled her special food plate with, well, special food and went back to sleep. My cat seems to be happy. It's been a week of moist food and premium leftovers (premium salmon I bought at the department store down the road, leftover chicken (the parts I don't like), etc.) That's a great change because now that I'm actually at home, I'm eating and cooking at home. She always benefits from that.

Again, 새해 복 많이 받으세요!

Fireworks Celebrating 2007 at Seoul City Hall Plaza (found at olgabrasil's site)
-------------
*새해 복 많이 받으세요 = saehae bok mani ba deu saye yo

--------------------


This is what I chose to avoid New Years Eve. Crazy, in a good way, no?

Sphere: Related Content