Thursday, May 15, 2008

I Knew I Was Real Smart for a Reason

Photo from sculptor Jenny Whiteside's website.

This story came out late last year, but considering where I live, it's no surprise the K-bloggers didn't pick it up and I didn't find it until recently.

This is the reason why the skinny bitch has never and will never phase me ;)

Study: Curvy hips lure men to smart women from PhysOrg.com

Women with small waists and big hips also have big IQs, a new U.S. study has found.

A study of 16,000 women determined those with hourglass figures were more intelligent than their counterparts with round or straight bodies, The Sunday Times of London reported.

Curvier women also tended to have more intelligent children, possibly because omega3 fatty acids are stored in their hips, the British newspaper said. Skinny women, or those whose fat deposits are around their waists do not have such deposits.

The study, to be published in the journal Evolution and Human Behavior this week, may explain earlier findings that men prefer women with smaller waists than hips even if they are compared to slimmer women, said the study's authors at the University of Pittsburgh and the University of California, Santa Barbara.

It may also help break down the stereotype that attractive women are not intelligent, sexual and relationship psychologist Paula Hall told the newspaper.
More:

The Blog at Blogsoop: When It Comes To Determining Your Child’s Intelligence, Hips Don’t Lie

Update: May 16, 2008 @ 8:30pm

I saw this headline on MSN and, while it's on the opposite side of the size and shape spectrum, it's something that impacts all women.

No women (or, in this case, teen girls) should be subject to this sort of pressure.



MSN: ‘Too fat’ teen model spotlights fashion’s dark side

Sphere: Related Content

4 comments:

  1. Thank you girlfriend!!! I needed that after almost a year in the land of size 0.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha...

    It's just a horrible human trait to divide people. Honestly, women here in Korea and, for that matter, everywhere have more in common than not.

    Here a woman's value can be inextricably linked to her family and their perceived worth. If you don't have that, then you'd better look a particular way or forget it. I have to say, I'm glad I'm not subject to that. It can't be easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree with you ExpatJane and when looking at the models today, I can only name you three that I admire and they are Chanel Iman, Doutzen Kroes and the Russian lady named Natalia who models for Calvin Klein. Now these girls are thin but they look healthy and glowing.

    Nevertheless, the rest of the models look like ZOMBIES, no personality,no glow no anything. I must admit that the supermodels of the 90's definitely were the bomb without a doubt.

    Also I know in Korea thinness is a must and having a curvy body not good at all. I guess like some men in the world, they prefer their women looking like 12-year old boys I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, it's a result of the beauty standards that dominate the media. Skinny has been in for awhile, so Korean women, who are naturally slight really strive to attain that ideal. I knew as a teen I'd never be rail thin, so I just focus on healthy (unfortunately, now, I'm way past healthy but I'm rolling it back.)

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for visiting my blog. It's my first blog, and I'm glad folks are still stopping by even though I'm no longer living in South Korea. Feel free to comment. If you want a personal answer, leave your email, and I won't publish the comment. Nasty comments and spam links will not be tolerated.