Friday, December 12, 2008

아침식사 (Breakfast) With a Twist

This is not nor will it ever be a food blog.

Well, I don't think so. I enjoy food. I love to cook but I'm a bit intimidated by deep food analysis because there are some excellent food blogs out there.

This morning, however, I just HAD to snap a picture of what I had for breakfast.

It's a soft cooked fried egg, on top of kale which was boiled with red pepper flakes, garlic, onions, mushrooms and red bell peppers. Yes, that green thing sticking out to the side is okra. I always try to add okra aka lady fingers. I do that the last 10 minutes or so of boiling or else it's a slimy mess.

All of this delicious wonder I placed on a bed of rice. I seasoned it with a bit of truffle salt because truffle salt goes well with eggs. All in all, it was a pretty good breakfast. I'm now washing it all down with a warm cup of green tea.

Kale for me is a substitute for collard greens. Collards are a staple in black American Soul food. I'd learned from my mom to prepare greens in a healthy way, so no worries. The okra addition was something my mom usually did too, so it wasn't a twist on heart attack on a plate.

I got the egg idea from the Orangette food blog. She went to Zuni Café, which is a restaurant in San Francisco and was one of my favorite places to eat in the city when I lived there. (It was walking distance from my apartment when I lived there. Man I miss that city.) At Zuni she had a dish prepared with toast, boiled kale and a fried egg. I stole the egg idea and tried it for breakfast.

Yummy.

Thanks Orangette and the chef(s) at Zuni Café for the inspiration.

What was interesting to me was how many people don't normally cook greens or know how to cook greens. Here is the NY Times food blog Bitten's post on how to cook kale. They use the Orangette post and picture for inspiration. Here is how the blog starts off:

As far as I can tell, kale has two identities: as hippie food, like granola, and as foodie star, though in that world it’s more likely to come steeped in bacon fat than paired with barley.
Really? When I think of kale, I think of it boiled in a mix of other greens or how it's used in Asian food.

But really, they don't know how to cook kale in worldly NYC? Hmmmmm, maybe I'll reconsider my plans to move there ;)

Sauteed kale? Ewwww...no. Too tough.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! Thanks for visiting my blog. It's my first blog, and I'm glad folks are still stopping by even though I'm no longer living in South Korea. Feel free to comment. If you want a personal answer, leave your email, and I won't publish the comment. Nasty comments and spam links will not be tolerated.