Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Tricked Out Hoopties

Update 1: April 3, 2008 @ 10:53am

I was walking to my office and I see a similar (or is it the same) car this time with girly accouterments like pretty pastel flowers and smiley faces.

Of course, I had to snap a couple of pictures.



_____________________________

What's funny about Korea is sometimes you see some weird similarities between Korean pop culture and ethnic pop culture. There is no denying that in black and Latino urban culture in the States that the tricked out hoopty is a pop culture phenomenon of sorts.



Now I'm not familiar with the subculture. I just know that there is one. It's involves like most car subcultures cool cars of some sort and women in very little clothing. What's funny is in Korea you'll see cars that have all sorts of weird additions to them. Now these aren't the most expensive cars and the additions are just so ghetto that I'm usually smirking a bit when I see them.

I was walking to my office today when I saw this one.




Clearly, this is one Korean interpretation of a pimped out hoopty ride. I say "pimped" because of the Playboy logo. Can you imagine this guy picking up some poor girl for a date...in that? Well, considering the number of tricked out hoopties I've seen, it's part of the culture of some younger male drivers here. Maybe she wouldn't mind.

While I'm at it here is a pic of the inside of a tricked out Korean taxi cab I got in just before I left for vacation in January. They can't really mess with the exterior, I guess, so he went all out with the interior. What's funny is a couple of weeks before that I was in a similarly tricked out taxi cab.


You'd never see that one in Japan ;)

Sphere: Related Content

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! Thanks for visiting my blog. It's my first blog, and I'm glad folks are still stopping by even though I'm no longer living in South Korea. Feel free to comment. If you want a personal answer, leave your email, and I won't publish the comment. Nasty comments and spam links will not be tolerated.