Tuesday, August 8, 2006

About Time: Anti-Stupidity Pill Being Tested

Time for a character flaw: I'm quite impatient with those who can't remember details as well as I can. So when I heard about this research I was happy because while I have been talking myself into being a kinder and gentler me, I still find it a challenge at times not to be impatient when details don't flow quickly to others.

I read an article on Reuters.com today which reports that a scientist in Berlin is testing a pill which eliminates the loss of short-term memory.

Short-term memory is the memory we use that covers the last 15 to 30 seconds. Since I'm a detail hound, I tend to remember all those little things which eventually file in my long-term memory (except names, I just don't care to remember them unless I know you well).

It works by calming hyperactive cells which in turn prevents the loss of short-term memory and improves attentiveness.

"With mice and fruit flies we were able to eliminate the loss of short-term memory," Ropers, 62, is quoted saying in the German newspaper, which has dubbed it the "world's first anti-stupidity pill."

As the Hindustan Times said about this research:

Short-term memory lapse can be irritating and quite embarrassing, especially when you end up getting chided with ‘you’re-so-stupid’ remarks for having forgotten immediate incidents or instructions. That’s perhaps why the pill that can cure this ill has been dubbed the ‘anti-stupidity’ pill.
The nickname of the drug is harsh, but if it works, those of us with less hyperactive brain cells will be less frustrated and much happier.

Sphere: Related Content