Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Wave the Stars and Stripes

A picture of the Stars and Stripes with the Blue Angels flying above it (the Blue Angels are an elite Navy flying team. They perform across the USA. I used to go see them every year when they'd come to San Francisco. They're great.)

This idea started when Lisa from Santa Barbara made a comment on Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner, a NYTimes op-ed piece by Frank Rich. I heard about the comment on an online forum.

She said:

If Senator Obama wins the election on Tuesday, on Wednesday I will go and buy an American Flag and hang it in front of my home. It is something I have never done in my 50 year old life.

— Lisa, Santa Barbara, CA
In contrast to Lisa, I do have an American flag. I've hung it before. I solemnly hung it the day after 9/11. I was living in a suburb of Daegu, South Korea at that time. Of course, I did that to commemorate the lives lost and changed during those attacks. I was inspired seeing the world console a grieving USA. Unfortunately, after 9/11 my government chose to act in the worst way possible while showing the no respect for rules, standards and institutions our country had, ironically, been central in creating.

However, the polls are getting ready to close on the east coast of the USA and as the hours go on, we'll know the results.

I've placed the Stars and Stripes next to my big front window. It's ready to go. It just might see some action soon.

If you think it's a good idea too. Spread the word.

Sphere: Related Content