Friday, March 7, 2008

Don't Get Ganked...Again!!!

Since the literary scene has already been raped this week with the revelation that the memoir "Love and Consequences: A Memoir of Hope and Survival" by Margaret B. Jones aka "I'm A Big Azz Liar" Peggy Seltzer is a bunch of horse shit, I just want to give a tip to those who want to read the book anyway.

After blogging about it and reading about it, I decided that I want to get my hands on the memoir...oh, my bad, novel...and read it.

My first instinct was to go to Guess what? Some copies that are listed there are already being priced at at least three times the cover price. Now some are up for auction, but these auctions don't close for five or so days. Who wants to bet the price is going to spiral up?

It's all about supply and demand. However, there is no way in hell I'm paying that amount to read this book. I went to where there were at least three copies listed at around $16.00 per copy. My tip: if you want to read it, go there first.

Move fast...!

If eBay gets too out of control price wise, I'm tempted to scan the whole thing and upload it once I get my copy. We'll see how I feel once I get it.

My curiosity stems from stuff like an non-existent intersection where some of the fictional drug deals happened and other details like that. Since this story is set in the area where I grew up, I just want to see how authentic is feels because there are some people seriously arguing that it's okay that they were fooled or asking does it matter that people were fooled.

No, it's not okay and, yes, it does matter.

The fact that people were fooled means Seltzer is a good novelist. From that perspective, it's a shame she lied as it's wasted talent. However, her lie completely disenfranchises people who have really lived that life.

Understand the difference, please.

Links to more sources and new developments will stay in my original blog, Memoirs and Street Cred.


Update 1: March 8, 2008 @ 8:35pm

Okay, I went to the eBay page again and that buzz I anticipated doesn't seem to exist...yeah! One book is priced at just under $11.00 and there is just a day and a few hours left. I'm glad to see people AREN'T bidding like mad, spiraling the price up for this book and taking people up on their overpriced "buy it now" offers on eBay.


Update 2: March 11, 2008 @ 9:47am

I didn't get around to posting this because I just found it today. This is the first chapter of the book. Maybe I will go ahead and sell my copy on eBay when I get it. This is melodramatic crap.

A white girl with braids dealing drugs in South Central L.A.? Good grief. How did the publisher believe this crap for longer than the second it takes to read it?

In South Central, the myth of human kindness and compassion ends and self-preservation is the ruling principle. At the end of the day what you know and have seen is no one's business but your own. It's a cold game, but what you know can kill you just as fast as what you don't. Snitches and rats dig their own graves.
Yeah, 'cause she knows it so well.

Sphere: Related Content