Tuesday, August 8, 2006

About Time: Anti-Stupidity Pill Being Tested

Time for a character flaw: I'm quite impatient with those who can't remember details as well as I can. So when I heard about this research I was happy because while I have been talking myself into being a kinder and gentler me, I still find it a challenge at times not to be impatient when details don't flow quickly to others.

I read an article on Reuters.com today which reports that a scientist in Berlin is testing a pill which eliminates the loss of short-term memory.

Short-term memory is the memory we use that covers the last 15 to 30 seconds. Since I'm a detail hound, I tend to remember all those little things which eventually file in my long-term memory (except names, I just don't care to remember them unless I know you well).

It works by calming hyperactive cells which in turn prevents the loss of short-term memory and improves attentiveness.

"With mice and fruit flies we were able to eliminate the loss of short-term memory," Ropers, 62, is quoted saying in the German newspaper, which has dubbed it the "world's first anti-stupidity pill."

As the Hindustan Times said about this research:

Short-term memory lapse can be irritating and quite embarrassing, especially when you end up getting chided with ‘you’re-so-stupid’ remarks for having forgotten immediate incidents or instructions. That’s perhaps why the pill that can cure this ill has been dubbed the ‘anti-stupidity’ pill.
The nickname of the drug is harsh, but if it works, those of us with less hyperactive brain cells will be less frustrated and much happier.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! Thanks for visiting my blog. It's my first blog, and I'm glad folks are still stopping by even though I'm no longer living in South Korea. Feel free to comment. If you want a personal answer, leave your email, and I won't publish the comment. Nasty comments and spam links will not be tolerated.