Thursday, August 24, 2006

Right On! Bloggers, et al. Help to Get the Morning After Pill Approved by the FDA

I'm just sharing the good news!

Here it is straight from the Washington Post: FDA Approves OTC Sales of Plan B.

The Food and Drug Administration approved an application today making the long-debated emergency contraceptive Plan B, commonly known as the "morning-after pill," available without a prescription to women 18 and older...
My participation in this was minimal. I signed a petition. I posted the countdown clock on this blog which I saw on another female bloggers website. I asked a handful of friends to get involved. Then I just crossed my fingers hoping that the FDA would take action and approve "Plan B", as it's called, even though it will risk a backlash from Bush and crew.

I got an email from NARAL today. Here it is:
Thanks to the letters, petitions, and support from people like you, the FDA finally overcame the political pressure from the White House, Congress, and anti-choice lobbyists, and approved the morning-after pill for over-the-counter sales.

Medical experts and scientists at the FDA have asserted for years that the morning-after pill - which can prevent an unintended pregnancy if taken within 72 hours after sex - should be available without a prescription. It's safe, it's effective, and it's a commonsense way for women to prevent unintended pregnancy.

Thank you again for helping achieve this victory for women - your action does make a difference.

My best,

Nancy Keenan
President
NARAL Pro-Choice America
It helps to confirm my belief that action matters. So if something is important to you, take action, vote, talk to your friends and your representatives. Have some faith because an apathetic American electorate is a dangerous thing. The last six years have shown us that.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! Thanks for visiting my blog. It's my first blog, and I'm glad folks are still stopping by even though I'm no longer living in South Korea. Feel free to comment. If you want a personal answer, leave your email, and I won't publish the comment. Nasty comments and spam links will not be tolerated.