Monday, July 10, 2006

"Future BMWs will self-park in your garage" - Say what?

Maybe I'm just not a visionary, but are we really this lazy that we can't park our cars anymore?

I was at Engadget.com and this story caught my eye. BMW has created technology that enables your car to self-park itself in the garage.

Isn’t the point of having a garage is that you just roll in, close the garage door and you’re in your home? Why would I drive my car home, get out, open the garage door and then let the car park itself?

Unless the car is also going to go get its own gas, come fetch me for lunch and then drive while I frantically work on some project in transit I just don't see the point. I understand the process of research and development. I mean this will probably lead to some features that will be very useful, but this I'll pass on.

According to the article the system uses distance-sensing technology that is used in both Mercedes and Toyota autos. Because it uses a reflective lens to work it can't be used in other parking situations like a parking lot or parallel parking. I just don't see the use for it unless there is more to it. When they develop a car that can drive me to work, then maybe I'll care.

Again, it just might be that I lack vision on how this improves the lives of your average BMW owner. I can understand James Bond needing it because he'll be putting the moves on the newest Bond girl in the back seat, but I don't see why I need it.

Sphere: Related Content

2 comments:

  1. Oh its needed when you have completely lost strength and range of motion on your left hand and the car you drive has a stick shift you operate with your left hand.

    Oh yeah, If I had a wonderful brand new made for me BMW, it would probably be automatic, have power steering and I would probably spend a lot more time on the road being an inconsiderate driver, not letting people cut in front of me, thereby effectively cutting the time I spend in my car in half!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha! I love driving cars with manual transmissions! Since I cut my teeth driving in L.A. at the young age of 16, I've cut a few people off in my day. "Cut off them off or be cut off," I say!

    Well, if I could afford a BMW, I'd probably be home in San Francisco working as a lawyer. Since I took the route of boot strap travel, well...a Honda is about all I can afford :(

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for visiting my blog. It's my first blog, and I'm glad folks are still stopping by even though I'm no longer living in South Korea. Feel free to comment. If you want a personal answer, leave your email, and I won't publish the comment. Nasty comments and spam links will not be tolerated.