Saturday, July 29, 2006

The Great Immigration Debate of 1621

I saw this cartoon spoof on YouTube, and I thought it was very funny.

I was really shocked at the vitriol spewed during the recent protests held by immigrants. What shocked me most was debating with people on the issue who felt that immigrants who risk life and limb to get to the US from their countries were taking something away from them.

Yes, they're taking jobs, but at the rate of pay that they're getting how many of us would want or take those jobs even if they were offered to us? That's what makes the issue complicated because it touches the world economy, the domestic legal system and globalization.

I’ll just say that I’m not to the level where I want to persecute the immigrant. I’d much rather go after the businesses and the system that creates the market, but we rarely go after them, do we?

With that said, this cartoon spoofs the extremes on both sides because those are the people that I really think derail the discussion. They essentially make it so emotional and full of anger and divisiveness that it’s next to impossible to find reasonable solutions to this issue. The ending is biting considering we know how it all turned out.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! Thanks for visiting my blog. It's my first blog, and I'm glad folks are still stopping by even though I'm no longer living in South Korea. Feel free to comment. If you want a personal answer, leave your email, and I won't publish the comment. Nasty comments and spam links will not be tolerated.