Saturday, July 8, 2006

Germany v. Portugal - World Cup 2006

BTW, update time...

Germany beat the Portugese diving team. Ausgezeichnet!!!! Deutschland! 3:1!!!!

--------------------------

Below is a hilarious post from a blog caled Flip Flop Flying. Currently, he's a British expat living in Germany, so he gets a first-hand view of the 2006 World Cup madness. I can relate as I was in Korea for the 2002 World Cup. It's an experience I wouldn't trade for anything.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Anyway, as the Germany v. Portugal game is happening in the next few hours, I must admit I'm rooting for Germany. (I'm also trying to resist the temptation not to post about it as I have this fear that I might somehow have the power to jinx it...)

I love, love, love, love the German team's captain and goalee (see the end of my The World Cup and my country... post). Plus, outside of the wonderful visuals, they're a good team. In contrast, Portugal, is also a very good team, BUT their tactics suck. After watching the England v. Portugal match, I now call them "the Portugese diving team." Their dives are so good that I think they need to recruit Greg Louganis.

So let's hope that there will be no reason for the following sounds or events to be heard in Germany in a few hours time.

---------------------------------

The Sound of Defeat from Flip Flop Flying

The sound of defeat
The casual dropping of bottles.
The mutterings of "sheisse..."*
The nur-nur of police vans briskly moving around the city.
The silent traipsing of friends.
The occasional defiant "Deutschland!"

---------------------------------

*for all of you who aren't speakers of German a link a Urban Dictionary's definition is provided above
---------------------------------

And...if you have the gumption to argue with me about "the Portugese diving team" then watch this video, and then, please get back to me with that argument:


Sphere: Related Content