Saturday, July 8, 2006

Germany v. Portugal - World Cup 2006

BTW, update time...

Germany beat the Portugese diving team. Ausgezeichnet!!!! Deutschland! 3:1!!!!

--------------------------

Below is a hilarious post from a blog caled Flip Flop Flying. Currently, he's a British expat living in Germany, so he gets a first-hand view of the 2006 World Cup madness. I can relate as I was in Korea for the 2002 World Cup. It's an experience I wouldn't trade for anything.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Anyway, as the Germany v. Portugal game is happening in the next few hours, I must admit I'm rooting for Germany. (I'm also trying to resist the temptation not to post about it as I have this fear that I might somehow have the power to jinx it...)

I love, love, love, love the German team's captain and goalee (see the end of my The World Cup and my country... post). Plus, outside of the wonderful visuals, they're a good team. In contrast, Portugal, is also a very good team, BUT their tactics suck. After watching the England v. Portugal match, I now call them "the Portugese diving team." Their dives are so good that I think they need to recruit Greg Louganis.

So let's hope that there will be no reason for the following sounds or events to be heard in Germany in a few hours time.

---------------------------------

The Sound of Defeat from Flip Flop Flying

The sound of defeat
The casual dropping of bottles.
The mutterings of "sheisse..."*
The nur-nur of police vans briskly moving around the city.
The silent traipsing of friends.
The occasional defiant "Deutschland!"

---------------------------------

*for all of you who aren't speakers of German a link a Urban Dictionary's definition is provided above
---------------------------------

And...if you have the gumption to argue with me about "the Portugese diving team" then watch this video, and then, please get back to me with that argument:


Sphere: Related Content

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! Thanks for visiting my blog. It's my first blog, and I'm glad folks are still stopping by even though I'm no longer living in South Korea. Feel free to comment. If you want a personal answer, leave your email, and I won't publish the comment. Nasty comments and spam links will not be tolerated.