Thursday, July 20, 2006

Presidential Popularity at an All Time Low? Okay, Go Hang Out With The Black People

You know, I knew this would happen. I'd start discussing international politics and then I'd end up being yet another web logger on an anti-Bush roll. I promise this will be the last for awhile, unless it's something so over the top that I can't ignore it.

Bush is now courting the black vote. This is a farce at its finest.

With Bush’s satisfaction poll numbers still very low and the November elections swiftly approaching, Bush finally decides to attend a National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) function.

Here is a video clip from ABC News.

While Bush was at this function, instead of talking about issues that impact the majority of African-Americans, he discussed his plans to repeal the estate tax and mentioned his friend Bob Johnson, who is the founder of Black Entertainment Television (BET). According to Think Progress this tax only affects 59, yes that’s 5 – 9 or 50 plus 9, African-Americans.

I know it didn’t affect me when my parents passed away because the estate has to be in excess of $2 million for it to be assessed. So why doesn’t Bush make it a priority to make sure that African-Americans have less barriers and more means to acquire estates valued at $2 million or more because then it would be an issue for us.

This is a clear case of putting the cart before the horse. There is good reason that only 11% of African-Americans voted for him, he just doesn’t seem to get it.

I’ve lost faith in the American voter, but I really hope that the African-Americans who do get off their butts and vote will not be taken in by these “too little, too late” overtures.

Okay, I'll try to make that my last Bush skewering for awhile.

Sphere: Related Content